What is Stem Cell?
Stem cells are special human cells that are able to develop into many different cell types to repair the damaged cells in the body. The stem cells can be divided into 2 main forms, the embryonic stem cells and the stem cells from the mature tissues, also known as adult stem cells. The stem cells can be collected and cultured from various sources, for example, fat cells, red blood cells, bone marrow. According to the capacity, stem cells can be differentiated into 4 specialized cell types:
- Totipotent Stem Cell can differentiate into the embryonic, umbilical cord and extraembryonic cell types. Such cells can construct a complete, viable organism;
- Pluripotent Stem Cell can differentiate into nearly all cells. The pluripotent stem cells are derived from the germ layers;
- Multipotent Stem Cell can differentiate into a number of cell types, but only those of a closely related family of cells;
- Unipotent Stem Cell can produce only one cell type of their own.
Types of stem cells
Stem cells are divided into 2 main forms. They are embryonic stem cells and adult stem cells.
- Embryonic Stem Cell. The embryonic stem cells come from human embryos. These embryonic stem cells are pluripotent. This means that they can turn into more than one type of cell, for example, cardiomyocytes cells, bone marrow cells, and blood cells, etc;
- Adult Stem Cell. Adult stem cells come from the mature tissues. The adult stem cells from fully developed tissues will generate only the specific types of cells of these tissues. For example, a stem cell that comes from the pancreas will only make more pancreas cells.
Nowadays, adult stem cells are applied in use of medical practice more than other types of stem cells due to the ethical debate that the embryonic stem cells originate from the fertilized human eggs. In addition, the adult stem cells can reduce the risk of cancer because the adult stem cells are collected from the patients themselves.
The adult stem cells can be collected from various tissues of the human body and generated into these tissues’ stem cells, for example bone marrow stem cells, red blood stem cells, dental pulp stem cells. fat stem cells, epithelial stem cells, mesenchymal stem cells, etc.
Advantages of Stem cells
- The MSC (Multipotent stem cells) can help repair the damaged cells in the body. For example, it can help to strengthen the blood vessels;
- Stem cells can evolve to perform specific functions depending on its environment. For example, when the MSC repair an inflamed area, the MSC will generate the cells of this tissue;
- The stem cells therapy is a treatment based on the theory of biomolecular. This therapy encourages the reparative response of injured or diseased tissue through stem cells from their derivatives without using any chemical medicines;
- The stem cells used in the treatment are collected from the patient himself and fully compatible with the human body without any stimulation to the immune system.
Stem cells in medicine
Stem cells therapy is used in the treatment of senior patients or those whose cells are damaged and deteriorating. This therapy allows the regenerative stem cells to replace and repair the damaged cells from the diseased, dysfunctional or injured tissue.
Now the stem cells are widely used in the treatment of many diseases. For example, the hematopoietic stem cells are mainly used to treat leukemia, and the mesenchymal stem cells are usually used to enhance the growth and recovery of wounds after surgery, osteoarthritis or cardiovascular diseases, etc.
The stem cells used in the treatment of disease can be either administered into the body intravenously or injected via intramuscular. The professional doctor or physician will be evaluate the patient’s health condition and suggest the amount. The whole treatment will be strictly under the supervision of the doctor or physician.
Stem cell in beauty
Nowadays, as the development of medical science, stem cells are increasingly used in the anti-aging and beauty medicine. The stem cells therapy not only can help treat various diseases, but also can help with the rejuvenating the body. Stem cell therapy can help enhance the growth of new healthy skin tissue, revitalizing the facial skin.
Stem cells therapy used for facial beauty is based on the rejuvenation and nourishment biological mechanism of innermost skin. It helps to slow down the aging process more effectively than other methods. The stem cells therapy is a process of skin Healing process of its own regeneration mechanism, stem cell therapy can help increase the growth of new skin, enhance collagen and elastin. As a result, it will help with removing the wrinkles, lifting the face, etc.